Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Draft This.

Notice I said “actually in the race” in that last post. That kind of brings me to another thing I absolutely loathe in American politics. It’s the “draft me” syndrome.

Several years ago, I was involved in a race in another state that went pretty well. A friend of mine was eager to set up a lunch between me and someone else who was considering a run for office.

I sat across from him and discussed message and strategy should he decide to get in the race. He interrupted me as I was getting wound up, and I’ll never forget what he said.

“What you say sounds all well and good, but you haven’t given me a reason to run yet.”

I stood up, tossed my cloth napkin onto the table, and walked out. And the reason for that is very simple. I can’t remember precisely what I said to him (And I won’t pretend that there was no profanity involved), but I’ll give it to you today as I would say it today, and I’ll tell this to LaSimba Gray and anyone else that wants to “draft” Mayor Wharton or any of the Astroturf guys masquerading as grass roots on the other side of the fence pretending that the “draft Fred” effort is genuine.

You simply do not have to draft a leader. You do not have to poke and prod them into action. A real leader has the testicular fortitude to stand up and tell you he wants to lead you. When he loses the race, you have to tell him to sit down and shut up.

I don’t say this to insult Mayor Wharton--- On the contrary, I have nothing but the utmost respect for the man, and I genuinely like him.

But just as I believe it’s wrong to come up with answers and try to come up with a question that fits them, it’s wrong to ask the voters to support a candidate that will not actually say he’s in the race.

Just level with the people, AC and Fred. If you want to run, say so. But please, in the name of God’s ass, give us a break from the Astroturf.

4 comments:

autoegocrat said...

What about Al Gore?

Freedonian said...

I think his reluctance to run is real. Between the fact that he's outearning presidential pay quite substantially and the fact that he's actually able to accomplish more on his pet cause outside the hallowed halls of DC, I don't think he's genuinely interested in running.

That being said, I still don't believe there should be a "Draft Al" campaign. He either wants it or he doesn't.

With Fred and, I believe, AC, this is not a genuine draft movement. This is astroturfing at its finest. These guys are trying to pick up a little extra juice by pretending that they're only in the campaign at the overwhelming will of the people.

I like AC, but I do not like how this is starting.

Tom Guleff said...

Good Post...Let's draft Rick.

MemphisPI said...

Well except I think these draft movements have some genuine quality.
That being that the "draftor" has started the movement. At some point the "draftee" becomes a part of the movement albeit not publicly. The draftee can say go away to the draftor or forget I positively will not run.

I agree real leaders step up to the plate and start leading. There are some interesting dynamics going on here. Are we not satisfied with those offering their leadership? Or is it the process by which we select (pre election) leaders that we are dissatisfied with? I don't know. But the three draft movements discussed here are certainly gaining dominance over the process.